It's been 30+ years since I first learned of what my soul had been screaming all my life. I learned that what I was (at that time) was called "Transsexual", so I began a program to find and "cure" my affliction. Talking with several people I later called family, I learned what the Dr.'s wanted to hear, rather than what was real. Though the rules of description were close to what I felt, I still tried to explain me to them.
This is also the first time I learned about and got active in creating change. L.A., CA was not very nice to us until a few got back into their faces to make the changes needed to help the legal/medical/social scene begin the process of morphing into a place with a little more safety. During the 3 years I was active, we managed to get ordinances for restroom use, public appearance, and a couple of other needs. Here is where I learned to talk to Mayors, Council-members, and State and Federal Legislators.
And then there's biologic family. And Mother knowing I had a need to make her happy, even to my own detriment. Almost cost me my life. And that shot 7 years. Try #2 never even got as far as finding a psychologist. Got married. No children. Moved across the country to caretake the family property. Vanished there until I started to think again of the "Ultimate I Quit!". And after having my life threatened, coming to Arizona.
Well, I've pretty much come a circle to where now I see alot. Some I see from 30+ years ago with no changes, and some great changes. And some of what I see are ladies and gentlemen; brothers and sisters; transgenders, transsexuals, and intersex people speaking up.
Talking about wants, needs, desires, responsibilities, and rights. And on rights and responsibilities, I think about all those, living and passed, who have worked so hard to bring the social and political responsibility back to where it belongs. Right here. In our hands.
To answer the question, can anyone fill Sylvia's heels? I say yes. There are a lot of people who have and do on a regular basis. You know who you are, I don't have to name you. Stay the course and keep up the good fight.
Filling her shoes is love
ReplyDelete